(and I mean it Not in the military kind of way- but in the dictionary.com way :P)
I thought so too;). We have been snafu-ing our Thai words quite a bit and so I wanted to share a little.
Unfortunately I do not have too many incidents comitted to memory, and I am absolutely Positive there are many more mistakes that we have made that just were not brought to our attention.
One day in the ministry I was working with Thai sisters and pretty much every day I spot adorable puppies whom I love and make friends with. I also greet people and make a habit of saying thankyou. "Kap-kun-ka" or you can also say "Kap-kun-maa-ka" Which is thank you vey much. But Maa is also the meaning for dog. So one sister stopped me when I was saying thank you because she thought I was thanking the dog by stressing- maa(k) Apparently they don't thank the dogs here :(
But my Favorite was when Gina and I had one of our first Thai massages. Gina wanted to show her appreciation so she enthusiastically told her masseuse, "Eroy Maa(k)" She had wanted to say that it was very good (dii maa(k)) but instead she said"tastes delicious!" HAha! :) When I heard I started laughing mid massage and so did all the other employees. Then the ladies kept repeating "eroy maak" and laughing.
Anybody up for a delicious Thai massage??
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment